Sunday, November 08, 2009

DARWIN: THE MUSICAL

This year is Charles Darwin's 200th birthday, and the 150th Anniversary of the publication of the Origin of Species. So, to celebrate, he's on a world tour, singing all of his greatest hits.

Actually, 'tis anthropologist Richard Milner channeling the great naturalist thu witty, upbeat original songs with rapid-fire rhymes that would give eminem a run for his money.
I hear the likes of Noel Coward, Cole Porter and his admitted heroes GIlbert & Sullivan in such songs as "I'm The Guy (Who Found Natural Selection)."

Corny? Nerdy? Well, of course. As it should be! In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing him on his tour when he hits California later this month after playing
London on the 10th (check his site for details, as well as to order his album Charles Darwin: Live & In Concert). He'll be at Caltech opening for best-selling writer Barbara Ehrenreich. Some folks go to dark, sweaty late night clubs. I go to Sunday afternoon shows at science university auditoriums. Oh yeah, that's how we roll 'round here at M4M. Don't mess with us!

Richard Milner "
Darwin's Nightmare" - gets rather surreal
Richard Milner "
Why Didn't I think of That" - "this one is sung by Darwin's friend Thomas Henry Huxley, kind of a Rex Harrison-like character. When he first read the Origin of Species, he said, "How stupid not to have thought of that myself."

As he describes in this video, he started off as a typical academic, writing songs about science on the side. Now he performs an hour-long show outside of the classroom, all over the world. No, this will NOT be on the test - it's all in fun, tho a certain amount of learning might slip thru, and is there anything wrong with that? Anyone...anyone? Can I see some new hands?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darwin is proving quite a popular hit with the music world. I assume you've seen Baba Brinkman's The Rap Guide to Evolution at http://www.babasword.com/

Pete

Mr Fab said...

Hey, thanks for that Pete, I did not know about it. I reviewed Mr Brinkman's "The Rap Canterbury Tales" on these pages couple years back, but obviously I have not been keeping up with the man's good work.

Pete said...

I'm sure M4M is where I heard him first.
Played my favourites I'm a African and Unity of Common Descent on Skip to the End back in August.

Cheers,

Pete